понедељак, 30. јануар 2012.

The light in the age of darkness: Strahinich Ban

"The ballads of Serbia occupy a high position, perhaps the highest position, in the ballad literature of Europe. They would, if well known, astonish Europe...In them breathes a clear and inborn poetry such as can scarcely be found among any other modern people." 
Jacob Grimm

  • There once was a prince Strahinich,
  • Lord over small Banyska he was,
  • Small Banyska near the Land of Kosovo;
  • A falcon was he, as never there had been.
  • One morning the lord rose with the sun,
  • He called upon his minions and said:
  • “Servants of mine! Speed up and hurry,
  • Saddle up my brave destrier Dyogo,
  • Garnish battling Dyogo as he deserves best
  • Gird him, my servants, as strong as you can;
  • Oh, my children, I think of travelling:
  • I want to leave the city of Banyska,
  • I want to tire out my stallion Dyogo
  • and to go, oh my children, to visit
  • my father-in-law at bright Krushevats.
  • to visit my dear old Yug Bogdan,
  • to see my nine young brothers, the Yugovichs
  • I do desire for my family!”
  • Faithful servants heard their master,
  • The lord’s brave warhorse Dyogo was saddled,
  • And prince Strahinich got dressed as well,
  • He was dressed in his best attire,
  • Dressed in proud silk and smooth velvet,
  • In colours bluer than water itself
  • And warmer than the beaming sun itself;
  • One Serbian falcon dressed up.
  • Then he rode away on mighty Dyogo,
  • And he appeared at his father-in-law’s
  • At his father-in-law’s bright Krushevats
  • Where the new kingdom already stood.
  •  When old Yug Bogdan saw Ban approaching,
  • As did his dear nine brothers-in law, too,
  • All nine of them, all falcons like himself,
  • They welcomed their dear brother.
  • When all he had cheerfully embraced,

  • Devoted servants grabbed Ban’s mighty horse;
  • They took their brother-in-law to the Great Hall,
  • Where a grand feast was awaiting they sat,
  • Where their peers spoke of their eventful past.
  • Servants appeared from all directions
  • Some offering food, others pouring wine.
  • Christian lords sitting all together
  • And drinking the best red wine:
  • Crowning the table was wise Yug Bogdan
  • And by his right hand, closest to him,
  • His son-in-law, falcon prince Strahinich sat.
  • Seated closest to them were all nine Yug’s sons,
  • And down the table the other nobles;
  • Farther down eager young served their elders.
  • And all nine daughters-in-law served as well,
  • And they all served their lords the same,
  • They served their father-in-law, the great Yug
  • And all other present masters as well.
  • Above all their strong, proud brother-in-law.
  • All were served the same wine by the servants
  • Served all of them from the golden goblet
  • Nine litres filled with wine, the golden goblet.
  • If you could see all the different viands,
  • The various victuals full of flavour,
  • My brother, this is the kingdom indeed.
  • For long they entertained the mighty prince
  • And for a long time the prince paid visit,
  • Proud, the prince felt for his father-in-law.
  • More lords present in the city of Krushevats
  • Pleaded from dawn banquet till dusk dinner,
  • They beseeched great, wise old Yug Bogdan:
  • “Oh, our lord, glorious Yug Bogdan!
  • We kiss your courteous garments
  • As well as your fair, right hand high up,
  • Bring all your power and all of your lords
  • And, oh, bring along your most precious son
  • Bring along your falcon, prince Strahinich,
  • Bring him to our homes and our castles.
  • So we can honour you, show you respect.”
  • Yug gave ear to each one most patiently,
  • Oh, for a long time they diligently begged,
  • It lasted for a long time – so time did pass,
  • And the prince stayed for a long time
  • But, look at this, unforeseen misery!
  • Oh, this break of day when the sun rose high,
    Mezyl came, bringing with him the fair book,

    A message from the town of Banyska,
  • The fair book, word from his kind old mother;
  • Strahinich Ban took the book to his knees.
  • When he had looked and read through the fair book;
  • The book had spoken as thunder to the prince,
  • Spoken damning words of his old mother:
  • “Where are you my son - my prince Strahinich!?
  • Cursed the wine in the town of Krusevats!
  • Oh cursed the wine and your hosts as well!
  • Read the book and, oh, hear its misery!
  • Out of nowhere fighting forces appeared!
  • Turks, my son, from the city of Jedar.
  • The Sultan conquered the Field of Kosovo
  • The Sultan arrived and brought his viziers
  • Those viziers, those terrible warriors,
  • The Sultan’s army occupied the land.
  • All the Turkish armies arose in force
  • And subjugated the Field of Kosovo.
  • They took our lands at the Kosovo.
  • The Turk army now lies on both waters
  • Spread ‘tween the rivers Lab and Sitnica
  • All Kosovo has been seized by them.
  • Rumours, my son, which people are speaking:
  • From the slopes of Mramor up to dry Yavor,
  • From dry Yavor, son, up to Sazliya,
  • To Sazliya, oh, to sad Chupriya,
  • From Chupriya, my son, up to Zvecan’sv
  • From Zvecan’s, they say, to the top of Chechan’s
  • From the top of Chechan’s to the mountains,
  • Turkish forces triumph over all of Kosovo.
  • The hordes, my son, oh, there are scores and scores
  • More than a hundred thousand, son, of them.
  • And in the Sultan’s service are Spahiyas;
  • Oh, their fiefdoms are everywhere around,
  • And they all eat the Sultan’s bread,
  • And they all ride spirited warhorses.
  • They don’t, my son, carry much armour
  • Except for one sabre, hung from their belt;
  • In the Sultan’s, my son, in Turkish service!
  • People tell of another army,
  • An army like fire, son, Yanichar Turks!
  • Who captured the fair house, my son, of Yedrene.
  • Yanichars are a hundred thousand,
  • People tell! Oh son, people are saying,
  • Turks have a third strong army, oh my son.
  • Some are Tukas, others Mandzukas:

  • Like they yell, oh my son, like they fight well.
  • Among Turks all kinds of armies are present,
  • Among Turks, son, there is one powerful force
  • A strong-willed Turk, my son, Vlah Aliya.
  • He doesn’t listen even to the Sultan,
  • Of the viziers he does not think much;
  • And as for other Turks, people tell,
  • He looks at them, son, as ants on the ground.
  • Such force, son, is in that Turk warrior;
  • Evil follows him wherever he goes.
  • He went not with the rest to Kosovo,
  • He picked, oh my falcon, his own path
  • And he took up, son, to our Banyska!
  • He devastated, my son, all our lands,
  • He turned to ashes all our Banyska
  • And he, oh my son, razed it to the ground.
  • Your faithful servants he scared away,
  • Your old mother, oh my son, he seized,
  • With his horse, son, he broke all of her bones,
  • Took your faithful love, subjugating her!
  • Oh, he took her to the Field of Kosovo
  • And under his tent he kisses your love.
  • And I, son, am weeping by the ashes of our home
  • While you are drinking wine in Krusevats!
  • Damn the wine you drink, let it be your last!”
  • When prince Strahinich read his mother’s words
  • Grief and sorrow for his mother befell him.
  • Strahinich Ban’s face lost all his colour
  • Oh, how his dark moustache drooped,
  • How his moustache slumped to his shoulders
  • Oh, how Strahinich turned bleak and angry,
  • Tears flowed from his eyes like rising rivers.
  • At that moment old Yug Bogdan appeared
  • Seeing his son low-down at sunrise.
  • Yug glared at Ban, like living fire,
  • He said to his dearest prince Strahinich:
  • “Son, Strahinich Ban, may God be with you!
  • Say, why did you get up early today?
  • Oh, why are you sitting here in sorrow?
  • What did happen that makes you look like that?
  • Who maketh you that furious at dawn?
  • Did your brothers-in-law make fun of you?
  • Oh, did anyone speak badly of you?
  • Oh, did their wives, son, not serve you well?
  • Did you get offended by anyone?
  • Speak son, my falcon, what and how it is!”

  • The prince glared at Yug Bogdan as well, too,
  • “Oh, leave me now father, old Yug Bogdan!
  • With my brothers-in-law I get along well
  • And their wives are all ladies as well.
  • They all speak well of me, they serve me well.
  • This family, old Bogdan, has no faults,
  • But I will tell you why I am so sad:
  • This book cometh from my little Banyska,
  • Oh, the book did come from my old mother,
  • She speaks of misery in my Banyska,
  • Of how my castle, my home, had been robbed.
  • Speaks of how my servants have been scared off,
  • Speaks of how my mother has been beaten
  • Speaks of how my love has been enslaved:
  • And so, father-in law, old Yug Bogdan,
  • Oh, even on this day she stays my love,
  • She is my love and your daughter as well,
  • A shame fell on both of us on this day;
  • Now then, father-in-law, old Yug Bogdan!
  • If you think to grieve for me, Yug Bogdan,
  • Oh grieve for me as I am still alive!
  • I implore you and I kiss your fair hand
  • For you to give me all of your nine sons,
  • Your sons and my dear brothers-in-law
  • So I can, father, go to Kosovo!
  • To go and to seek for my enemy
  • The Sultan’s most powerful warrior,
  • Who has captured and has taken them slave.
  • And, oh my father, do not be afraid,
  • Don’t think of your falcons, your nine brave sons,
  • On account of your children, my brothers,
  • I will mask all nine and all their clothes
  • I will disguise them all to look like Turks,
  • Put white kepis, old Yug-Bogdan, on their heads
  • I will dress them, my father, in green shirts
  • And dress them in shalvar trousers as well.
  • I will decorate them with precious sabres,
  • I’ll call upon servants and show: Hero;
  • Oh, let servants saddle our horses
  • Saddle them, bind them as strong as you can,
  • Let them all be covered with great bear fur;
  • I’ll make your sons look like Yanichars!
  • I’ll counsel my brothers all the way,
  • Till we all arrive at Kosovo field
  • And when we all sneak through the Sultan’s lines
  • Ah, leading them I’ll be Delibasha!

  • Let them all be ashamed and scared of me
  • Let them all be afraid of their leader!
  • Whoever stops us in the Sultan’s army
  • Whoever stops us in order to speak
  • Asks in Turkish or Manovish lingo
  • Oh , with Turks, father, I can speak them both
  • I can speak Turkish and Manovish as well,
  • Even Arabic I can understand
  • and I understand Arnauts as well.
  • I will take all children through Kosovo
  • And the Turkish army will be spied on,
  • While I seek out my deadly enemy
  • That powerful Turk - mighty Vlah Ali,
  • Who took all the treasures away from me!
  • Let my brothers-in-law be the trouble
  • ‘cause if I am by myself I may die,
  • With brothers by my side I shall not die.
  • It is easy for one to get wounded.”
  • Thus did old Yug Bogdan hear the prince’s words.
  • He did glare at Strahinich without ire,
  • To his dearest son Yug Bogdan said:
  • “Ban Strahinich my dear son-in-law!
  • I can see this morning that you have no brains!
  • Why you ask from me all my nine brave sons?
  • To take them with you to the Kosovo field?
  • To Kosovo, to be slaughtered by Turks?
  • Do not you say a word, my son, anymore!
  • I won’t let my nine go to Kosovo!
  • May never I see my daughter again!
  • My dear son-in-law, Strahinich Ban
  • Why did you lose your mind like this today?
  • Do you know, son? If people only knew!
  • And if she spent only one night with him,
  • Only one night under his tent with him,
  • She cannot be in your heart any longer
  • Oh, God gave up on her, she has been damned,
  • She’s giving love to him, not to you, my son.
  • Let her go, my son, she’s now the devil’s.
  • I shall find you, my son, a better bride!
  • I want to drink with you our cold wine!
  • I want to be friends with you for all time!
  • But my sons shall not go to Kosovo.”
  • Ban flew into a rage, he went ablaze,
  • Oh, in his grief and aching misery
  • The prince didn’t call upon his servants,
  • Not a call for a trusty stable boy

  • But he himself went for brave Dyogo
  • How the prince saddled his pride Dyogo
  • Oh, how strong the lord girded his Dyogo
  • With harness the prince bridled Dyogo.
  • Ban took him out in front of the castle
  • To the great white stone
  • Ah, where he climbed Dyogo’s strong shoulders.
  • The prince looked over at his nine brothers
  • His brothers held their heads down to the ground.
  • Ban looked at another cousin of his
  • He was of the Nemanjic family.
  • The Nemanjic took his eyes to the ground.
  • When they were drinking rakija and wine
  • They all were showing off as great heroes
  • They all bragged and heartfelt they swore by God:
  • “Oh, we love you our great Strahinich Ban!
  • Love you more than this empire of ours!”
  • Oh, look at this gloom in these troubled times!
  • Prince Strahinich finds no friends this morning.
  • It is no easy way to Kosovo.
  • The prince found himself alone, a lone rider,
  • Who went over and through Krusevats field.
  • When at the middle of the field, lone Ban,
  • He turned his eyes toward fair Krusevats
  • Hoping to see his nine brothers-in-law,
  • Hoping to see them join him in his woe;
  • When this morning, in time of need, he saw
  • That he had been left by his finest friends
  • Oh, Prince Strahinich fondly remembered
  • He remembered his true hound Karaman,
  • Whom he loved like his fine stallion Dyogo.
  • And so the prince called him with his clear voice:
  • In Krusevats had his Karaman remained,
  • But on his master’s call he came running.
  • He ran to his master and his friend Dyogo
  • He barked and jumped beside Dyogo
  • Even Karaman’s gold choker clanged,
  • Happy hound he was – talking to his lord
  • The prince rode on his stallion Dyogo,
  • And he rode over fields and mountains.
  • When Ban arrived at the Field of Kosovo,
  • Oh, he glimpsed powerful Turkish forces,
  • Strahinich Ban felt fear arise in him.
  • He called upon the almighty Lord himself,
  • And he strode into the Turkish hordes.
  • He proceeded through the Field of Kosovo,

  • He proceeded in all four directions,
  • He was searching for mighty Vlah Ali.
  • Ban was searching but he could not find him.
  • Then Ban headed for the stream Sitnica,
  • Where fate revealed him miraculously
  • On the shores of the river Sitnica:
  • And by the river stood a great green tent,
  • So vast, dominating Kosovo field.
  • Topped by a golden apple the tent was,
  • Shining like the Sun itself the apple was.
  • By the tent’s entry a spear, fast in the earth,
  • To the spear a black stallion was fastened.
  • The stallion’s head showed the cap of Stamboul,
  • Ah, he pranced left and he pranced right.
  • When the prince Strahinich spied the stallion
  • Oh, he held his step so as to ponder.
  • It is mighty, this tent of Vlah Ali,
  • Strahinich dismounted his Dyogo,
  • Strahinich grabbed his strong spear from his back
  • And he opened the flap of the grand tent,
  • Seeing who under the tent resided:
  • ‘twas not the Turk, the mighty Vlah Ali,
  • ‘twas an old man, a wise Turkish dervish.
  • His white beard stuck deep in the dervish’s belt.
  • In the tent the dervish sat all alone,
  • A true roisterer was this old dervish,
  • Turkish dervish was drinking lots of wine,
  • Oh, he pours, oh, he drinks, wine all alone.
  • The dervish’s eyes bloodshot already showed
  • When Strahinich came face to face with him.
  • Out he called to the drunken old dervish.
  • The drunken dervish saw brave Ban disguised,
  • The dervish answered in sore voice Ban’s call:
  • “Oh, be welcomed! Oh, my Strahinich Ban!
  • You of Banyska by Kosovo Field!”
  • Fear again arose in the prince’s heart.
  • Oh, then Ban spoke Turkish to the dervish:
  • “Hey! Dervish, in sorrow is your mother,
  • Why do you drink, why are you getting drunk?
  • That, in this drunkenness, you speak wrong of me
  • And you name an honest Turk a convert?
  • Why do you bring up some Strahinich Ban?
  • Since in front of you is no some Strahinich Ban,
  • It is one of our Sultan’s victors.
  • Did Sultan’s messages not come to you?
  • All messengers have gone out and lost way,

  • And all the victors are on the move,
  • The Sultan sent his heroes to catch them.
  • If I tell the Sultan and his Viziers
  • in what manner you did just speak to me,
  • Then great misery will come upon you!”
  • But now the old dervish started to laugh,
  • “Oh, my victor, oh, Strahinich Ban,
  • Oh, did you know, oh, may you never know!
  • Were I on far and high Golech peak now
  • I could see you ‘tween the Sultan’s army,
  • I could recognise you and your Dyogo
  • Even your faithful dog – true hound Karaman,
  • Whom you love as you love your Dyogo.
  • Oh, do you know, Ban of little Banyska,
  • My Ban, I know your fine face anywhere.
  • And I know the look of your eyes as well.
  • Ah, I make out your dark and grim moustache!
  • Oh, do you know, oh my Strahinich Ban?
  • Once I was locked up and was in strong chains.
  • Oh, your knights, your servants, they got me good,
  • They found me at Suhara’s mountain peak
  • Oh, and they carried me in front of you
  • And you locked me up in your deep dungeons.
  • I had been slave to you, suffered greatly,
  • Oh, and I was imprisoned for nine years,
  • Nine years did pass and the tenth year had come
  • And then, Ban, you felt sorry for my lot,
  • Then you called out for my dungeon guards,
  • And then they came to my dungeon door
  • Oh Ban, they brought me in front of your seat.
  • Oh, did you know, oh my Strahinich Ban?
  • And then, oh Ban, you asked and questioned me:
  • “Oh, my Turkish slave, oh, my Turkish snake,
  • Why did you come to rot in my dungeon,
  • Shall you, my slave, be ransomed a hero?”
  • You had asked me and I answered truly:
  • “I could get ransom and buy myself out
  • Only if I could reach my citadels
  • In my fatherland, oh, where my roots are;
  • Oh, rich I am with many a treasure.
  • I have lots of men and lots of fiefdoms.
  • So I suppose I could get me ransomed.
  • But then, oh Ban, you would not trust my word
  • To let me go to my marvellous castle.
  • I leave you the most precious guarantee,
  • Most precious of all – by the one true Lord,

  • My strong and true faith is your guarantee,
  • So I can leave and bring you rich ransom.”
  • And you Strahinich Ban believed in me,
  • you did let me go to my wanted home
  • To fatherland and this homeland of mine;
  • So, when I came to my beloved homeland,
  • There, all those sorrows, oh, revealed themselves:
  • In these castles, in the homeland of mine,
  • In these citadels, pestilence did rule,
  • It exhausted our men and our women,
  • And nobody left at the fire.
  • So those fortresses of mine - forfeited,
  • Forfeited, and razed down into the ground,
  • Elder overgrows our ruined walls;
  • You could see my fiefs,
  • Conquered violently by the Turks
  • Then I saw closed the Iron Gates:
  • No treasures, no friends;
  • I pondered and the idea came to me
  • I laid my hands on the horse of Mezyl,
  • I was off to the city of Jedren,
  • Came to the Sultan, came to the Vizier.
  • The Vizier saw and informed the Sultan,
  • Oh, what a man for combat I will be;
  • The Sultan’s vizier did lead aside me,
  • He led aside me and gave me a tent;
  • The Sultan bestowed me a battle horse,
  • And he gave me bright and shiny weapons;
  • The Vizier of the Sultan confirmed me,
  • That I will always be his warrior.
  • And at present you, Ban, come before me,
  • So that you can gather the dues I owe,
  • But I, my prince, do not have any means.”
  • Lord Strahinich fell into deep distress.
  • “Why lose one’s precious life in hopeless fight
  • In Kosovo, with the Sultan’s army!”
  • The prince recognised the poor old dervish,
  • So he freed himself from brave Dyogo.
  • Thereafter he embraced the old dervish:
  • “God bless you brother! My dear old dervish!
  • I release you of the load I imposed!
  • I don’t demand, my brother, any money,
  • Don’t think of your charge,
  • But I look for the great Vlah-Alija,
  • Who devastated all my fortresses,
  • and who seized my dearest, fairest darling;

  • Please, my dear old friend and dervish, tell me,
  • Please point him out to me - my enemy?
  • I beg you as my brother once again,
  • Please, don’t surrender me to the army,
  • So that the Turks cannot encircle me.”
  • And the pious dervish promised by God:
  • “To you, our Falcon Strahinich Banovich!
  • My faith is harder than stones of the Field,
  • If you draw forth your sword at this moment,
  • And vanquish half of the Turkish army,
  • I will not betray you,
  • Nor will I offend your beloved breed,
  • And though I was in your cold dungeon,
  • Enough wine you have given me to drink,
  • And white bread you have given me to eat,
  • I was warmed by the sun over your lands,
  • You did let me go free just on my word;
  • I’ll not betray you, I’ll not turn you in
  • My word I couldn’t keep when I had no choice
  • Don’t be afraid of me, master, this time.
  • As for your inquest, dear honourable,
  • For the vigorous Turk Vlah Aliyah,
  • Oh, he erected his stately white tent
  • On the high mountain of Golech.
  • But, oh great prince, let me advise you!
  • Take Dyogo - flee the Field of Kosovo,
  • Because you will lose your life for nothing!
  • Do not be too proud of yourself, my prince,
  • Nor of your firm hand or your lethal sword;
  • Not even be sure of your fatal lance,
  • You will find the Turk over on the mountain,
  • You will find him but you will suffer greatly
  • Your brave horse, your weapons won’t aid you
  • The fighter will grab you with his bare hands
  • And break your strong hands,
  • Oh, and how he will gouge out your bright eyes!”
  • The prince Strahinich merrily laughed:
  • “God praise you my brother, dear old dervish!
  • Don’t tell of me to nobody, brother,
  • Chiefly not the Turkish warriors!”
  • So the Turk spoke to him yet again:
  • "Do you listen, my friend Strahinich?
  • My great faith is harder than all stone,
  • Now, if you prompt Dyogo to fight,
  • And now, if you bare your mighty sword,
  • If you vanquish half the Turkish army -

  • I won’t betray you,
  • Nor will I expose you to the Turkish.”
  • Reflect on it, Ban, don’t hurry so much!
  • The prince looked down from Dyogo’s back:
  • “Oh, my dear brother, my dear old dervish!
  • Each morning and evening your horse drinks,
  • Your horse drinks from the river Sitnica,
  • And do not fool me but quickly tell me
  • What the place is, to cross this cold river,
  • That I do not hurt my stallion Dyogo.
  • And the dervish answered Prince Strahinich:
  • “Oh Strahinich Ban, Serbian falcon,
  • With your valour and your warhorse Dyogo
  • You find no hurdles, choose the path you like.”
  • The prince and his steed crossed the river well.
  • Riding on his mighty stallion Dyogo,
  • Ban advanced towards the Golec mountain,
  • He was below and the sun high above.
  • The sun had warmed up the Field of Kosovo
  • And it had shone on the Sultan’s army,
  • And if you could see the mighty Vlah Ali,
  • Oh, all night long he was kissing Ban’s love
  • On the Golec mountain beneath his tent;
  • A sleepless night for mighty Vlah Ali.
  • And he fell asleep as the sun arose,
  • He fell asleep as the sun got warmer.
  • He had closed his eyes and started dreaming;
  • Oh, how the lady was dear to his heart,
  • That slave of his, the love of Strahinich.
  • He dreamed how his head, oh, rests in her lap.
  • She held the mighty Turk on that morning,
  • On that morning with the tent’s door opened.
  • And she looked over the Field of Kosovo.
  • She looked over all the Sultan’s army,
  • She watched the wide extent of Turkish tents,
  • Saw the many soldiers with their horses,
  • She felt terrible gloom and she despaired.
  • Her sad eyes went down Golec mountain slopes.
  • Oh, she saw the rider and his fine horse.
  • When she had seen the rider and his fine horse.
  • Oh, how she slapped the mighty Vlah Ali
  • She slapped the mighty Vlah Ali’s right cheek,
  • She slapped him and she began to tell him:
  • “Oh, my master, oh mighty Vlah Ali,
  • Will you get up or never leave your rest?
  • Oh, get up and put on your battle dress,

  • Oh, get up and arm yourself now quickly!
  • Here comes the falcon, the great Strahinich,
  • He comes and he will cut your head off you.
  • He comes and he will cut out my eyes too!
  • The mighty Vlah Ali glared burningly,
  • He glared out and he looked at the rider,
  • Mighty Vlah Ali thunderously laughed:
  • Oh, my sweetheart, oh, Prince Strahinich’s love,
  • This strange Turk brings such fear into your soul?
  • So much terror he arouses in you?
  • If I take you to my city of Jedrene,
  • Will Ban be appearing to you as well?
  • Oh, there is no Prince Strahinich coming,
  • That’s a Sultan’s warrior approaching,
  • Who has been sent by the Sultan himself;
  • May be the Sultan or vizier Mehmed?!
  • The Sultan may call for my submission,
  • That I not break up the Sultan’s army.
  • The Sultan’s viziers are afraid of me,
  • So I do not go with my sword to them.
  • If you could only see what I can see;
  • My love need not be fearful any more,
  • Be not afraid when I use my sword now,
  • I will show my sword to this warrior,
  • So the Sultan won’t send me anyone.”
  • Strahinich’s dearest said to Vlah Ali:
  • “Oh, my master, oh mighty Vlah Ali,
  • Are you blind or what – can’t you see at all?
  • This rider is no Sultan’s champion,
  • This is my guv’nor, my lord Strahinich.
  • I know Ban, recognise his proud forehead,
  • I recognise his eyes from far as well.
  • Ah, I make out his dark and grim moustache.
  • I know as well his strong and brave Dyogo,
  • And I recognise his true Karaman.
  • Don’t joke about your head, lord Vlah Ali!”
  • When the Turk heard these words from his sweetheart,
  • The mighty Turk felt fear and went sombre.
  • Oh, now he got moving, he raised himself,
  • And he had put his weapons’ belt on,
  • His weapons’ belt, with pointed and sharp knives.
  • He also hung his sabre on the belt.
  • And over the Turk’s horse the black crow looked.
  • Before long the prince Strahinich arrived.
  • Oh, how wisely the brave prince chose his words.
  • This morning Ban did not speak politely,

  • Ignored the Turkish custom of Salam,
  • But spoke his words with intent to offend:
  • “Oh, so here you are, you Turkish bastard,
  • You rotten servant of a rogue master!
  • Do you know whose lands you have ravaged?
  • Whose minions, Turk, you have taken with you?
  • Whose love you hold under this grand white tent?
  • Come to me and fight as a hero!
  • Offended, the Turk furiously jumped,
  • With one dart he was at his black stallion,
  • With another he sat on the steed’s back.
  • He had girded his sturdy mount strongly.
  • But Ban did not wait for the Turk’s advance,
  • He let Dyogo run to battle Vlah Ali.
  • The prince threw his spear fast against the Turk,
  • One hero attacked another hero.
  • Vlah Ali reached for his powerful spear,
  • He took the spear and he held it strong,
  • And he spoke with thunder in his deep voice:
  • “Oh, you bastard, lowly born Strahinich,
  • What do you think of yourself, foolish Ban?
  • These are not some Serbian grandmothers
  • for you to come, groan at and scare away.
  • No, this is terrifying Vlah Ali,
  • Scared not of the Sultan nor his viziers,
  • I, who in this realm is a full army!
  • I look at all the Sultan’s grand armies,
  • These unimportant ants on these pastures.
  • Oh, and you, Prince, start fighting me alone!”
  • When the Turk had finished his spear flew fast,
  • But luck looked kindly on Strahinich Ban,
  • The one God helped mighty Strahinich Ban.

  • Luck found him through his jousting horse Dyogo
  • As Vlah Ali’s spear whiffed over the peak,
  • Dyogo lightning-fast turned from the swift spear
  • He kneeled down as the spear flew over Ban
  • The spear ran beyond Ban and hit a stone.
  • As it hit the stone it broke into bits,
  • As many bits as are stars in the sky.
  • But both men had broken their mighty spears,
  • Both heroes took up their deadly bludgeons,
  • Mighty Vlah Ali was hammering hard
  • Hammering hard, hammering Strahinich.
  • Making Ban shift in his saddle to the left,
  • Making Ban shift in his saddle to the right.
  • The one God helped mighty Strahinich Ban,
  • Luck found him through his jousting horse Dyogo.
  • Such jousting mounts Serbs do not find today,
  • A stallion that neither Serbs nor Turks have,
  • The steed forcefully moves body and head
  • The stallion shifts and holds his Ban firmly
  • And when the prince Strahinich hit with force,
  • Hit the dragon, the gruesome Vlah Ali,
  • The prince could not from his saddle move him.
  • Ali’s stallion beat was into the ground
  • The steed’s four legs driven into the earth
  • And both their maces were broken as well.
  • Their maces broken, shards flying around,
  • Oh, that they both reached for their sharp-edged swords,
  • For their swords so they could keep on battling .
  • But you should see the falcon Strahinich,
  • And about the falcon’s sword people said:
  • The falcon’s blade was made by two blacksmiths,
  • Made by two blacksmiths and their three helpers.
  • They hammered it from Sunday to Sunday,
  • They had made the falcon’s blade out of steel,
  • They hammered thin the steel to a strong blade.
  • The Turk attacked and the prince defended
  • One sabre hit on the other sabre,
  • Ban’s sabre split Vlah Ali’s asunder,
  • As the prince saw his strike he felt delight,
  • On and on Ban attacked valiantly,
  • Full of ire the prince aimed for the Turk’s head,
  • But the Turk defended himself fiercely.
  • Hero fought hero!
  • Vlah Ali would not give up in his life
  • Nor would he let Ban hurt his hands as well.
  • With his broken sword he battled away,
  • With half a sabre crossed over his neck
  • He thwarted attack on his valued neck.
  • And his broken sabre blunted Ban’s sword.
  • The Turk ripped apart Ban’s sword piece by piece,
  • And both their sabres were destroyed as well.
  • Both their sabres were destroyed to their heart.
  • What’s left of their swords they threw to the side.
  • Then they jumped off their bravely fighting steeds,
  • When they had jumped they started to struggle,
  • Oh, they struggled as two dragons would struggle.
  • Oh, struggle on high Golech mountain they did,
  • Struggled alone until summer’s day noon.
  • At this summer’s day noon Vlah Ali spewed,
  • His phlegm as white as the mountain’s peak.

  • But Ban white and red spewed - torn that he was
  • And the prince’s clothes soaked full with blood.
  • As was blood filling Strahinich Ban’s boots.
  • And when the prince was wearied from fighting
  • The fierce Strahinich Ban spoke out loudly:
  • “Oh, my dearest love, may God disgrace you!
  • For watching this misery on this peak.
  • Oh, you better take a piece of the sword
  • And then stab, my love, myself or the Turk!
  • Oh, imagine, my love, which one you choose.”
  • But the Turk in anger shouted out, too:
  • “Oh my dear, once Strahinich Ban’s love,
  • Do not stab me but stab Prince Strahinich!
  • You’ll never again be dear to him,
  • He forever, oh, ever would blame you.
  • You will be judged from sunrise to sunset
  • Because you spent nights in my tent with me.
  • Forever will you be dear to me,
  • I’ll take you to the city of Jedren,
  • I’ll order thirty servants to serve you,
  • All thirty of them to please and serve you!
  • I will feed you with sugar and honey
  • And then I will wrap you in gold ducats,
  • Put them all from your head to your sole.
  • So you better now stab Strahinich Ban!”
  • Easy it is to fool a woman’s mind,
  • Oh, how she jumped quickly in her desire
  • She picked up one piece broken from the sword,
  • And she wrapped it in her soft scarf of silk
  • That she would not hurt her gentle pale hand.
  • She then moved around them closely watching,
  • Careful was she not to hurt Vlah Ali,
  • She came within reach and stabbed her master,
  • She hit her old master Strahinich Ban,
  • Onto his head she had gored Strahinich,
  • And now she hit the prince’s fair features,
  • And now she cut open his gold helmet,
  • And she cut his lovely visage as well.
  • Ban was slashed open, he had been wounded,
  • Thus blood gushed down the Serbian hero’s face.
  • Blood gushed over his eyes, thwarting his view.
  • Oh, fear again took over the lord’s heart
  • On this wild day there of senseless battle.
  • But then, oh, Strahinich Ban remembered:
  • A thunderous bellow with his last breath,
  • He shouted for his true dog Karaman,

  • The hound he often went on the hunt with.
  • Ban shouted once and again, one more time,
  • Hearing his master, Karaman ran up,
  • As he came he jumped at Strahinich’s love,
  • And the woman was easily frightened,
  • She was scared stiff and lost in her panic,
  • She threw the broken shard into the grass,
  • Screaming and shouting were heard far away.
  • Oh, she was fighting Ban’s dog Karaman,
  • And they did fight on the slopes of mount Golech,
  • And the Turk was afraid for his sweet’s life,
  • And he felt sorrow for her painful plight.
  • While he was watching what happened to her
  • The fading strength of Strahinich revived.
  • With fresh vigour swaying his hero’s heart
  • Ban battered Vlah Ali both left and right,
  • Ban ousted the Turk till Vlah lost his ground.
  • Oh, so fast and sharp was Strahinich Ban,
  • He looked not for weapons down on the ground,
  • With passion he closed his hands on Vlah’s neck.
  • Ban went for the Turk’s throat with his teeth bared,
  • Ban slew Vlah Ali with his own bare teeth!
  • The prince roared triumphantly with new breath.
  • And Ban could again restrain Karaman,
  • With Karaman restrained his love was saved,
  • But his sweetheart ran down the mountain slopes,
  • His love ran down to the Turkish armies.
  • But Strahinich caught up with his true love
  • He took hold of her arm, her right arm he held.
  • Ban took her to his mighty steed Dyogo.
  • He set his dear love on Dyogo’s strong back,
  • He put his dear love on Dyogo’s strong back.
  • And then Ban set out on his ride back home
  • He sought a way around the Turks army,
  • And finally they got away from Turks.
  • When they had made it to fair Krusevats,
  • To Krusevats, to his love’s family,
  • Where wise old Yug Bogdan saw him coming,
  • Where his nine brothers-in-law ran unto him,
  • They met him with kisses and open arms.
  • And worried they asked for Strahinich’s health.
  • When he saw his beloved son wounded,
  • His falcon, his son-in-law with deep wounds
  • Yug Bogdan poured tears down his noble cheeks:
  • “Welcome again, my falcon, in my home!
  • Battling the Turks more heroes be helpful,

  • A brave hero should have gone after you,
  • But who may have followed my dear falcon,
  • As there’s none like my falcon - none ever!”
  • Also his brothers-in-law did worry.
  • Ban finally opened his mouth, he spoke:
  • “Don’t you, oh father-in-law, be worried,
  • And you, my nine brothers, don’t be afraid,
  • With the Turk no more heroes were needed,
  • No hero to help when I was at risk!
  • I tell you who came when I was in need,
  • And let me tell you how I got these wounds:
  • “When I fought with the mighty Vlah Ali
  • Oh, my father-in-law, old Yug Bogdan,
  • My dearest love Andyeliya did save me,
  • My beloved one and your beloved daughter.
  • She did not help me but did help the Turk.”
  • Hearing this old Yug Bogdan went berserk,
  • He called upon all his nine waiting sons:
  • “Oh, my children take out your sabres now!
  • Take your sabres and rip this bitch to shreds!”
  • All his sons listened to their father’s call,
  • All Yug’s nine drew swords and went after her.
  • But the falcon Strahinich Ban held them,
  • Calmly he told his fierce brothers-in-law:
  • “My brothers, oh my nine Yug Bogdan sons,
  • Oh, what disgrace fell upon you today?
  • Oh brothers, who do you aim your knives at?
  • If such great heroes, my brothers, you are,
  • Where were your knives and where were your sabres?
  • Where were you when I was in Kosovo?
  • Where you could have been heroes, fighting Turks?
  • Where you could have been at my side helping?
  • I won’t give you your sister to be slaughtered!
  • Oh, I could strike her down without your help,
  • And I shall strike all her family down!
  • If I should lose who drink red wine with me.
  • But I give life to my lady and you.”
  • Few men only there are like he was one
  • Men like Strahinich Ban – great falcon he

Нема коментара:

Постави коментар